Thursday 8 March 2012

Thankful Thursday: Undo!!

I thought I'd publish what I did in an effort to help others (and as a reference to remind myself what I did!).

The process to add a source and citation was quite a long winded one, so I wrote yesterdays post for reference as it's something I'll have to do quite often. However I very nearly had to do all of yesterdays hard work all over again!

What I didn't tell you is that I had downloaded the 1881 census return for the Elders family and added it to my tree, however the major flaw in Family Tree Maker 2012 is that when merging a document, new people mentioned in the source can be added to the tree, but the document won't be added to their facts (it is of course possible I missed something, and if that was the case please let me know!).

This was the main cause of me typing my sources myself, and so after filling in all the information yesterday I had to create the residency facts (FTM 2012 only added their names, approximate birth date and gender) and then attach my source to each individual fact.

Once I had spotted the ctrl+shift+s shortcut the sourcing process was very quick and easy as FTM 2012 remembers the last source citation you added, so it was just a question of clicking the fact, pressing ctrl+shift+s and hitting enter.

(I also learnt that to quickly move between people hit alt+n when in the Person tab. This shows you that persons relationships and enables you to click on their child / parent / sibling quickly and easily. alt+c takes you to the new persons facts.)

After attaching the new source citation to the 6 members of the family I decided to delete the old 1881 census group. A quick right click, delete soon got rid of my source, and left me with just one 1881 source option instead of two. But then the moment of panic set in; I deleted the wrong source!

Luckily FTM was idiot proofed, so by simply hitting Edit and Undo Delete Source I had my source back! Phew! I then triple checked which one I wanted to keep and this time I removed the wrong one.

So Ancestry, thank you! And thank you to whoever invented undo in the first place!

The Undo button - My saviour!

2 comments:

  1. Hello! Nice to meet you. I was the youngest by quite a few years when I started researching. Now I fit in and people assume I am new, rather than having 20 odd years under my belt! Welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interest and passion are what count, not age...

    Welcome to the GeneaBloggers family. Hope you find the association fruitful; I sure do. I have found it most stimulating, especially some of the Daily Themes.

    May you keep sharing your ancestor stories!

    Dr. Bill ;-)
    http://drbilltellsancestorstories.blogspot.com/
    Author of "13 Ways to Tell Your Ancestor Stories" and family saga novels:
    "Back to the Homeplace" and "The Homeplace Revisited"
    http://thehomeplaceseries.blogspot.com/
    http://www.examiner.com/x-53135-Springfield-Genealogy-Examiner
    http://www.examiner.com/x-58285-Ozarks-Cultural-Heritage-Examiner

    ReplyDelete